The Best Pecan Pie my family has ever had made with kithul, a sugar free, low glycemic treacle that tastes like caramel!
A couple of years ago when we learned that my father was diabetic, I started to make this Agave pecan pie recipe as a sugar free option. It was a good recipe, but we started to move away from using agave. Coconut syrup became the new favourite, and then my father discovered kithul as a delicious low glycemic option. I used the kithul to make our holiday pecan pie and wow! This has since become our family’s number one favourite dessert!
So what exactly is kithul? Kithul is type of treacle that comes from Sri Lanka. Also called jaggery, you might think of it as something like maple syrup but with a caramel flavour that’s absolutely delicious but unlike maple syrup, it’s low glycemic and diabetic friendly.
The kithul is amazingly delicious and perfect for pecan pie. Here’s my blue ribbon pecan pie recipe.
RECIPE: PECAN PIE
1 9″ pie
2 cups kithul
3 large eggs
1/3 cup butter, at room temperature –
2 cups pecans, half broken, half whole
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or
¼ teaspoon salt
1 uncooked pie crust of your choice
tinfoil to make a pie guard for your crust, or similar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a dry skillet, roast pecans over medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. Cook the kithul in a pan and gently boil for 10 minutes to reduce it to a thicker syrup. Remove from heat and let it cool down a little bit for about 2 minutes.
4. Beat eggs lightly and gradually pour into the heated kithul, beating constantly to prevent eggs from scrambling.
5. Cut the butter into little chunks and add to the mixture while you are beating the eggs and kithul. Stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
6. Add roasted pecans to the uncooked pie crust. Pour mixture over top.
7. Carefully place your pie in the oven and bake about 30 minutes, then remove, place pie crust shield on it, and return to the oven for another 30 minutes (a total of 1 hour in the oven).
8. You can test the pie by sticking a knife in the middle. If the knife comes out clean, the pie is done. It if comes out dirty, it needs about 10 more minutes in the oven.
9. Cool pie on a wire rack.