A few weeks ago, I had a delicious meal at Live Organic Food Bar in Toronto. My sister and I shared the raw pizza and raw ravioli. Both were delicious and both used a supremely delicious sauce that we learned included red pepper. I became determined to recreate that flavour profile.
The closest thing I found on the web is this recipe for Spaghetti Love. I didn’t make it as written because I picked up 2 bushels of tomatoes from my friend at the St. Catharines farmer’s market and this recipe only calls for a single roma tomato. I used the ingredients as a framework to create my own version of a delicious sauce that’s much more heavily rich with tomatoes. I’m going to call mine Pizza Love in response to the excellent original post. 🙂
This recipe is approximate. A little of this, a little of that… taste and adjust as you go.
Raw Tomato Sauce Recipe – Raw Vegan Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 1 bushel of roma tomatoes
- 2 cups of sundried tomatoes (I used tomatoes I had already dehydrated)
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic depending on size and preference
- 6+ dates
- 4 red peppers
- huge bunch of fresh basil, at least 1 cup or more
- good bunch of fresh oregano, 1/2 cup to 1 cup, use more for a pizza flavour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- additional Italian herbs as desired
- 1/3 cup of dulse – My secret ingredient! Optional, but excellent.
A little of this, a little of that, blitz in the food processor or vitamix and away you go! So yummy! My husband was really surprised it was raw. I heated his up since that’s his preference and he wouldn’t have known the difference between that and a cooked sauce if I hadn’t told him.
To intensify the flavour, you can pour all of it into a shallow dish and leave in the dehydrator at 105 degrees over night. Yum.
Check out my recipe for Raw Pizza Chips!