This is absurdly delicious. I haven’t been blogging about it, but I’ve started making raw vegan coconut kefir which I need to blog about in a separate post. I’m using it for the full version of this recipe (in place of just plain coconut milk), but for the moment I’ll post the quick version.
- You’ll need a good food processor to make this recipe.
- Muffin tray or small spring form cake pan or pie plate.
- 2 cups of shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 400 mL of raw coconut milk or 1 can coconut milk (canned coconut milk is not actually raw) or the equivalent made into coconut kefir in advance
- 4 regular limes or 8 key limes or more, to taste (reserve the zest in advance to mix in or for garnish, as you wish)
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of light raw agave, or to taste
- dash of sea salt
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- .5 cup of dates (or more if you’d like a softer crust)
- Optional: 2 tbsp dried coconut (if you’re not using silicone moulds)
- Blitz 2 cups of dried coconut and coconut oil in the food processor. Leave it long enough that it becomes completely liquified. This might take a good 5 minutes or longer.
- Add coconut milk to the filling. Blitz it again.
- Zest your limes, and if you like add some of the zest to the coconut or reserve all of it for a garnish, as you like.
- Squeeze out your limes separately, so you don’t get seeds in your filling. Then add it to the coconut.
- Add light agave, to taste, and a dash of salt.
- Set filling aside in a separate container, in the fridge if you like. It will solidify as it becomes cold.
- Blend the nuts in the food processor until it makes a fine nut meal. Then add your dates and let it blitz some more. Leave it for longer if you like a softer crust.
- Mould the crust into cups inside your muffin cups, or press into the bottom of your spring form pan or pie plate. *If you’re not using silicone equipment, sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut on the bottom of the pan and it will prevent it from sticking.
- Fill your crust, then let it set in the freezer until it’s nearly ready to serve. Garnish as you like.